The Positive Benefits of Meditation

Previously, I wrote about the first step to living a thoughtful life. I wrote about how removing yourself from the falsity and distraction of social media will, in turn, create opportunities to find yourself. The time spent glued to our devices is time that could be spent being out in the world and learning to interact with others and interacting with nature. Our interaction with each other and the world at large is key to living as our authentic selves. The world provides so many opportunities for self-growth that it is shame to ignore it. 


When I published my last post about the first step to living authentically, I got a lot of questions about what I do with that time. I do spend some time on social media by spreading the word about protecting the environment, human rights issues and how to live your life truthfully. But when I am not working, I actually take the time to meditate. I have benefitted greatly from meditation. There are so many reasons why I benefit from an hour of meditation every day. My day is hectic and like everyone else, sometimes the stress can wear me down. Taking that hour to meditate, brings a sense of calm to my life and helps me to center myself. It helps me to reduce my stress and it clears my head. There are numerous benefits to have a meaningful meditative practice. 


A very significant study was conducted by Havard Medical School in conjunction with Massachusetts General Hospital, found that there are actual physical and medical benefits to meditating. The study conducted by neuroscientist Sara Lazar found that meditating actually changes your brain. The study tested the brain scans of a control group versus a long term meditation group. They found that the long-term meditators have an increased amount of gray matter in the insula and sensory regions, the auditory and sensory cortex. The research also found that the long term meditators had more gray matter in the frontal cortex, which is associated with working memory and executive decision making.


The study also found that a mere 40 minutes a day will help greatly to reduce stress and helps to enhance all your senses. Lazar says that "Mindfulness is just like exercise. It’s a form of mental exercise, really. And just as exercise increases health, helps us handle stress better and promotes longevity, meditation purports to confer some of those same benefits."

Speaking from personal experience, meditation is the key to living a meaningful life. Remember to being kind to yourself is just as important as meditating for 40 minutes at least a week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Holistic Approach to Grief

The Benefit of Removing Toxic People from your Life

The First Step to Being Thoughtful and Living Authentically